QuickBooks error 6154 is one of the company file errors that arises when the user tries to access the company file but the software fails to process the request. There can be multiple reasons why a user may get stuck with this error. This error appears with a pop-up display message as follows:
“Error 6154 occurred when a QuickBooks company file was not opened or QuickBooks was unable to open a specified folder or file.”
If not dealt with on time, this error can lead to data loss or corruption in the company file. Hence, it becomes crucial for users to address error code 6154 on time. In this guide, we are going to highlight the possible causes behind the error, along with the steps to resolve it.
Why does QuickBooks Error 6154 appear?
In order to fix the error, it is very important to understand the possible causes behind the error. It may help you prevent the error from occurring again in the future. So, here is a list of the causes and reasons why you may encounter error code 6154 in QuickBooks:
- The company file that the user is trying to access is missing from the workstation.
- Incorrect folder paths or files can also lead to QuickBooks error 6154.
- Damaged or corrupted QuickBooks company file.
- If you are not logged in to your PC or QuickBooks software with admin rights, then it can create various discrepancies in your workflow, including QB error 6154.
- If you have moved the company file from one location to a different location.
- If you have accidentally deleted or removed the QuickBooks company file from your workstation
- Background active third-party software applications are blocking the connection request of QuickBooks software.
That’s all with some common causes of Intuit QuickBooks error code 6154. Identifying the exact cause of the error can help you resolve it more efficiently.
Solutions to Fix QuickBooks Error 6154
After having a clear understanding of the possible causes behind QuickBooks error 6154, you can now proceed further to implement the appropriate solutions to troubleshoot the error. Let’s take a detailed look at the actions that you can undertake to get the error resolved.
Solution 1. Login to the PC with admin rights.
The first solution that you should follow to deal with the QB error code 6154 is to login to your PC with admin rights. It will grant you the necessary permissions and rights to access and modify the files and folders stored on your computer.
- At first, close all the active applications on your PC, and then perform a restart of it.
- After that, make sure to login to your PC with an admin account.
- Following the above steps, navigate to the folder where you have stored the QuickBooks company file.
- Now, try to access the same company file again, in which you earlier encountered the error 6154.
- At last, verify if you are able to access the company file or not.
In this scenario, if you are still unable to access the company file, then follow the next solution.
Solution 2. Reset QuickBooks Sync Manager
By resetting sync manager, you can resolve all the issues that are linked with the sync data in QuickBooks. It will fix the corrupted data and damaged files and may help in troubleshooting QuickBooks error 6154.
Given below are the steps that you can follow to reset the sync manager on your PC:
- Before moving ahead with the procedure, make sure that your PC is in admin mode.
- After that, navigate to the folder where your QuickBooks company file is saved.
- Now, Cut that file by pressing the Ctrl + X keys together.
- Thereon, navigate to the location where you have to move the folder. Create a new folder here and paste the company file here by pressing Ctrl + V keys together.
- In order to reset the QuickBooks Sync Manager, open the QuickBooks desktop application on your computer.
- Navigate to the QuickBooks Menu bar and then click on the Help menu option.
- As the help menu list expands on the screen, click on the Manage Data Sync option, followed by selecting the Reset Sync Manager option.
- With that effect, a new prompt window will appear on your screen. It will ask the user to provide the application’s login ID and password.
- Provide the asked details, and then wait for the sync manager to complete the first sync process.
Once that process ends, then verify whether the error 6154 QB has been terminated or not.
Solution 3. Sync QuickBooks with the Company File
By synchronizing the QuickBooks with the company file, users can ensure that all of their business data is accurate and updated. It will allow for seamless integration between the QuickBooks software and the company’s financial information and may even help to resolve QuickBooks error 6154.
Here are the steps that you can follow to sync QuickBooks with the company file:
- Login to your computer with admin rights and then navigate to the C:/ drive.
- After that, click on the Sync Now option, and then the files and folders will be synchronized in the desired format.
- Now, make sure to match the files and folders with the QuickBooks software, and then launch it as an administrator.
- At last, try to access the company file and check whether the error has been resolved or not.
Read Also :-QuickBooks conversion tool
Solution 4. Repair and Uninstall QuickBooks
Repairing and installing the QuickBooks software can help resolve various issues and errors that might be arising due to a data sync problem or corrupted files. Given below are the steps that you can follow to repair and uninstall the QuickBooks software on your workstation:
- The first step is to move to the Control Panel settings on your computer.
- Thereon, click on the Programs & Features option.
- Now, from the list of available programs and features, search there and select the QuickBooks program.
- Moving ahead, click on the Repair/ Uninstall option, and if the repair prompt window appears on the screen, then click on the OK option.
- With that effect, the repair and scanning processes will start on your PC.
- As that process ends, perform a system reboot and verify whether the Intuit QB error code 6154 has been terminated or not.
- Move back to the Control Panel page on your PC.
- Secondly, choose the Uninstall a Program option.
- From the list of available programs, select QuickBooks software.
- At last, uninstall the software and reboot your system.
Note: While uninstalling the software, make sure to keep a note of the important details of your QuickBooks subscription, such as the licence number, product number, etc. Also, you should make sure to use an authentic and credible website to install the software again on your workstation.
Solution 5. Don’t Save While Closing QuickBooks
QuickBooks saves the data as you go on, and it automatically opens the pages and windows that were opened last. Therefore, we recommend you avoid saving any changes while closing the QuickBooks software. It will help in preventing potential data loss and corruption. It is also a good practice for ensuring the safety of important financial data and records.
- Launch the QuickBooks desktop application on your workstation, and then navigate to the No Company Open window.
- From there, you have to access your company file.
- Now, press and hold the Alt key on your keyboard, and don’t release it until the prompt window appears.
- Moving ahead in the procedure, you have to click on the Open option. If you are asked to provide the login credentials, then enter them.
- Again, press and hold the Alt key, and then click on the OK option.
Once you are done with the above steps, close all the active applications on your workstation, and then check whether the QuickBooks error 6154 has been resolved or not.
In this blog, we have highlighted the complete procedure that you can undertake to eliminate the QuickBooks error 6154. You can easily do the same to resolve the error. If you get stuck at any step while performing the procedure or if the above-listed steps do not work for you, then we advise you to get in touch with the QuickBooks support team. Experts will deeply understand your query and may help you find the best possible solutions to get the error resolved.
Read Also :-QuickBooks error 1317