QuickBooks error 6144 82 is one of the most common errors in QuickBooks and generally arises when the user tries to access the QuickBooks company file through a different application. This error prevents users from accessing the company file and may even result in a software crash.
Error code 6144 82 in QuickBooks arises with a pop-up display message such as:
Although there is no need to panic with this error, it can be resolved easily by performing simple troubleshooting steps. In this blog, we are going to enlist some of the solutions that you can execute step-by-step to get the error resolved hassle-free.
Why Does QuickBooks Error 6144 82 Arise?
Before you directly jump to the solutions to eliminate the issue, it’s important to understand the possible reasons why this QuickBooks error code 6144 82 arises. Knowing the possible causes behind the occurrence of the error can help you prevent it from occurring again in the future.
Here is a list of possible reasons why QuickBooks error 6144 82 arises:
- The main reason behind the error is damaged or corrupted QuickBooks installation files, such as Network Data (.ND) and Transaction Log File (.TLG).
- If the QuickBooks company file name length exceeds 65 characters, then it can also lead to the occurrence of error 6144 82.
- If the company file location has been changed to a different folder.
- If the QuickBooks desktop software is not downloaded or installed properly on the device.
- Network or internet issues can also trigger QuickBooks error code 6144 82.
Symptoms of QuickBooks Error 6144 82
Let’s take a look at some of the possible symptoms through which users can easily identify the QuickBooks error code 6144 82:
- The QuickBooks desktop application is not working.
- The PC’s window is not working properly and hangs sometimes.
- A pop-up window with the message QuickBooks error 6144 82 appears on the display screen.
Solutions to Troubleshoot QuickBooks Error 6144 82
Once you have a detailed understanding of the possible reasons why the QuickBooks error 6144 82 arises, let’s take a brief look at the solutions that you can perform step-by-step to resolve the error.
Solution 1. Rename the QuickBooks Company File
The first step that we suggest you take is to verify and rename the QuickBooks company file name. Make sure that the company file name length does not exceed 65 characters.
Below listed are the steps that you can execute to do it:
- Firstly, launch the Windows file explorer on your device and move to the location where you have the QuickBooks company file. The default location where the QuickBooks company files are saved is C:\ Users\ Public\ Public Documents\ Intuit\ QuickBooks\ Company Files.
- Thereon, search there for the file ending with the “.QBW” extension.
- Moving ahead, right-click on the file name and then choose the rename option.
- Here, copy the filename and paste it on a word counter. Now, verify that the file name does not exceed 65 characters.
- If you notice that the file name length is more than 65 characters, then apply the necessary changes to shorten the name.
- Once you are done with the above steps, close the background active applications and launch the QuickBooks company file once again.
If you are still facing the QB error 6144 82, don’t panic and try the next solution.
Solution 2. Fix Windows Registry Entries
- At first, open the Windows Run dialogue box by pressing the “Windows + R” keys together.
- Thereon, type “command” in the search box, but don’t press the enter button.
- Moving ahead, hold the “Ctrl + Shift” keys together and then hit the enter button.
- Now, a permission dialogue box will appear on your PC screen.
- Here, click on the “Yes” option.
- After that, a black box with a blinking cursor will open on your screen. Thereon, type “Regedit” in the empty space and then hit the enter button.
- With that effect, the registry editor will appear on your screen.
- Here, you have to select the error code 6144 82 in QB.
- Thereon, navigate to the file menu and click on the “Export” option.
- Select the folder where you want to save the QuickBooks backup key.
- Provide a name for that folder, and then choose the “Selected Branch” option from the “Export Range Box“.
- Save all the updated changes and add “reg.” as a particular extension.
By performing the above steps, you have successfully fixed the windows registry entries. Thereon, check if the QuickBooks error code 6144 82 has been resolved or not. In case, if the error still persists, then execute the next solution.
Also You Can Read –QuickBooks Error 1603
Solution 3. Launch the QuickBooks Monitoring Service
Launching the QuickBooks monitoring service can help you troubleshoot various issues in the software, including QB error 6144 82. Here are the steps that you can execute to launch the QuickBooks monitoring service on your device:
- Firstly, move to the Windows start menu and then navigate to the services tab.
- As the particular service list expands, search there for the “QBCFMonitoringService” icon.
- Now, click on it and ensure that it is working in automatic mode. If not, then click on the “Radio” icon.
- At last, end this process by clicking on the “Apply” > “Ok” option.
Solution 4. Move the QuickBooks Company File to the Default Location
If the QuickBooks company file has been moved to a different folder or device, then QuickBooks may face issues while accessing the company file, which may lead to the occurrence of various QuickBooks errors, including error code 6144 82.
In those circumstances, you have to move the QuickBooks company file to its default location. Below are the listed steps that you can perform to do so:
- First, open QuickBooks product information on your window screen by pressing the F2 key on your keyboard.
- Now, note down the company file location on a notepad, which you can find under the “File Information” section.
- Move ahead to the company file location and check if the company file is saved there or not.
- If you can’t find the company file in the original company file folder, then type “.QBW” at the top-right Windows search option.
- After that, the resulting file will be shown on your screen.
- Now, copy the company file that you want to open, and then paste it inside the company file folder.
- Once you are done with the above steps, try to access the QuickBooks company file and verify if the company file has been eliminated or not.
As demonstrated above, we have listed three different tried and tested solutions that you can easily perform step-by-step to eliminate QuickBooks error 6144 82. If you have a query or are stuck with any other error while working on the software, you can get in touch with the experts. They will help you fix the issue quickly and hassle-free.
Also You Can Read – How to Setup a Chart of Accounts in QuickBooks