QuickBooks error 15240 is a common error that generally occurs when their is an issue with the QuickBooks payroll update. This error typically prevents the user from downloading or installing the new payroll updates and leads to inconvenience and potential disruption in the payroll process. Users will be able to notice this error with a pop-up display message as:
“File Exists: The file you specified cannot be opened. Make sure that it is not being used by another program.
Internet connection error: unknown error”
If you are also experiencing this error, then it is recommended to verify your internet connection first. If that does not work for you, then we advise you to implement the troubleshooting solutions that are covered in this blog.
Why Does QuickBooks Error 15240 Appear?
Let’s explore the possible reasons why you may encounter error 15240 QuickBooks.
- If you are using incomplete or corrupt installation files of QuickBooks software.
- Incorrect date and time settings of your PC.
- Insufficient admin rights.
- If you are accessing the QuickBooks software with multi-user rights, then it can also create hindrances in updating payroll and may lead to the occurrence of QuickBooks error code 15240.
- Active firewall or antivirus settings can also block the QuickBooks software to install new payroll updates.
- Unstable internet connection.
Read Also :- QuickBooks error 6000 77
Solutions to Resolve QuickBooks Payroll Update Error 15240
Well, there are a couple of solutions that can help you resolve QuickBooks update error 15240. These includes:
Solution 1. Run QuickBooks With Admin Rights
If you are not running the QuickBooks software with admin rights, then it can lead to various issues with the software and may even hamper the installation process of payroll updates. Therefore, we advise you to first close QuickBooks software and launch it again with admin rights.
- First of all, move to the desktop screen on your PC.
- After that, right-click on the QuickBooks software icon and select the Run as Administrator option.
- Now, navigate to the Properties and make sure that Compatibility for All Users is enabled.
Once you are done with the above steps, launch the QuickBooks software and try to update the payroll. If you are still encountering the QuickBooks desktop update error 15240, then the error might be arising because of insufficient Windows permission.
Solution 2. Grant Windows Permission to QuickBooks Installation Folders
By providing Windows permissions to QuickBooks installation files and folders, you can allow the software to access and modify needed files. To do that, here are the steps that you can execute:
- First of all, close the QuickBooks desktop software on your PC.
- Thereon, navigate to the C:\Program Files.
- After that, search there for the Intuit folder and right-click on it.
- Move to the security tab, and then choose the Advanced option.
- Here, you must ensure that the owner of the folder is in the user group. If not, then you have to take ownership of the Intuit folder.
- Under the Advanced Security Settings window, select the Change option available beside the owner name.
- Now, type Users in the Enter the Object Name to Select field, and then click on the Check Names option.
- After completing the aforementioned steps, click on the OK option, check the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects box, and then click on the Apply and OK options.
- Thereon, click on the Users option, which is available under the permissions window, and then select the Full Control option.
- Subsequently, click on the Apply > OK option.
Once you are done with the above steps, check whether the error has been eliminated or not. If you are still encountering the error, then repeat the steps from 1–5 for the following folders:
- C:\Program Files\Common Files\ Intuit
- (64-bit users) C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\ Intuit
- C:\Users\Your User Name\AppData\Local\ Intuit
Read Also :- QuickBooks Error 15227
Solution 3. Check the Internet Explorer Settings
The next solution that we advise you to follow to deal with the QuickBooks error 15240 is to check and alter the Internet Explorer settings. QuickBooks uses Internet Explorer as the primary web browser for certain functions. By ensuring the browser’s settings, you can prevent and fix various unwanted errors with the software.
- Firstly, open the Internet Explorer browser on your PC, and then click on the Gear icon.
- After that, select Internet Options, followed by a click on the Advanced tab option.
- Now, scroll down to the Security tab and then check-mark the Use SSL 2.0 and Use SSL 3.0 options.
- At last, save the updated changes by clicking on the Apply and OK options.
By performing the above-listed steps, you have successfully altered and modified the internet explorer settings on your PC.
Solution 4. Verify the System Date & Timing Settings
If your PC is working with incorrect data and timing settings, then it can create various issues with the SSL certificates and may prevent secure connections. Therefore, you must verify the date and timing settings on your PC.
- First of all, go to the PC Settings and then navigate to the Time and Date Settings.
- If you notice that the settings are incorrect, then immediately apply the necessary changes to correct them.
- After that, click on the Apply and OK option.
Solution 5. Download the New Windows Update
The next solution that we advise you to follow to deal with the QuickBooks error code 15240 is to update the PC’s Windows to the latest version. Updating Windows will fix all the bugs and glitches that may lead to QB error 12540.
Hence, here are the steps that you can follow to download and install a new Windows update on your computer:
- The first step is to navigate to the Windows Start menu on your PC.
- Thereon, type Windows Update in the search bar.
- From the list of available searches, click on the Windows update option.
- Now, the Windows update settings will appear on your PC screen.
- Here, you have to click on the Check for Updates option.
- If there are new updates available, then click on the Download option.
- With that effect, the downloading process of the new Windows update will commence on your screen.
- Furthermore, as the downloading process ends, close all the active applications on your PC and then perform a deep restart.
Congrats! By performing the above-listed steps, you have successfully updated your PC’s Windows to the latest available version. At this stage, the QB error code 15240 must be eliminated.
Read Also :- Print Paystub Quickbooks
In this blog, we have highlighted five different tried-and-tested solutions that will surely help you deal with the QuickBooks error 15240. You can easily follow the steps to get the error resolved. If you get stuck with the error or if the solutions do not bring positive results for you, then we advise you to reach out to the QuickBooks support team. Experts will deeply understand your concern and may provide you with personalised guidance to resolve the error easily and hassle-free.